..or.. (“HAVE NEW BUNNY – WILL TRAVEL!!”)
The change in environment from pet shop to new owners can be a very traumatizing experience for a young bunny. He is losing his friends, handlers and familiar noises.
So, here are a few tips to reduce the stress for bunny.
- Have a soft cotton ‘bunny-rug’ or large towel ready (90x90cm is ideal)
- Place the rug completely over the bunny. It will subdue him instantly as he can’t see what is going on.
- Wrap the bunny, loosely, like a baby and place him in a comfortable carrybag – a cloth bag is is most comfortable for bunny.
- Have your pet-carrier box or cardboard box ready, lined with paper and straw. (We don’t want any bunny accidents, do we?).
- Place the bagged bunny in the entrtance of the pet-carrier or in the box and loosen the wrappings from around the bunny so he can make his own way in.
- Remove the bunny-rug and bag gently from your pet container.
- Close it and cover the carrier, so he is kept in the dark..
- Bunny is now ready for travel.
- to unpack Bunny, the process is reversed.